I’m not sure I should call this a recipe, because I think you should make it to taste. I call this my Ugly Caprese Salad because I was too hungry to make it pretty for the picture. This was actually the best caprese salad I ever had!
- Good, ripe tomatoes
- Good fresh mozzarella
- Fresh basil (not optional)
- Balsamic vinegar
- Extra virgin olive oil (optional)
- Slice tomatoes however you’d like them. I like them in 1/4 inch thick rounds.
- Sprinkle tomatoes with a little salt.
- Slice mozzarella about the same thickness you sliced your tomatoes.
- Chiffonade (roll the leaves up like cigars and slice thinly) basil.
- Arrange all three on the plate however you’d like. Traditionally the tomato and mozzarella slices are stacked, i.e. tomato, mozzarella, tomato, and so on.
- Sprinkle on balsamic vinegar. If your bottle is anything like mine, be careful–I basically dumped a bunch of vinegar onto my salad because it came out of the bottle too quickly. Luckily, I really like balsamic!
- Sprinkle on a little olive oil if you’d like. I did not, but after I inhaled my salad I thought that a bit of olive oil would take it over the top.
This can be made as a one-woman salad or a family meal, but it should be served immediately. If you want to test out the salt, basil, balsamic, olive oil ratio before making a big one of these as a meal or side dish, make yourself a little plate of it first and adjust as needed. Enjoy!